- Promoting the development of Silk Industry by such measures to create scope and opportunity
- To create greater opportunities for gainful employment and improved levels of income in sericulture through spread of scientific sericulture practices
- Undertaking, assisting or encouraging scientific, technological and economic research.
- Devising means for improved methods of mulberry cultivation, silkworm rearing, developing and distribution of healthy silkworm seeds, improved methods of silk reeling and spinning of the cocoons and silk-waste, improving the quality and production of raw silk, if necessary by making it compulsory, for all the raw silk to be marketed, only after the same has been tested and graded in properly quipped raw Silk Testing and Conditioning Houses
- Improving the collection of cocoon and proper market linkage of raw silk.
- India is emerging as a leader in the world market for silk.
- To advise the Central Government on all matters relating to the development of silk industry including import and export of raw silk.
- To prepare and furnish such other reports relating to the silk industry as may be required by the Central Government from time to time.