To Execute Sericulture Promotional Program SRDC has launched the program in two project phases:
1. Phase --- l, Farmer's Networking Phase through Aarthik Swavalamban - Project
2. Phase --- ll, Commercial Phase through Public Private Partnership (PPP) Model
Farmers' Networking Phase
A project in the name of Aarthik Swavalamban has been launched by SRDC for Sericulture Promotional Program that how a farmer can initiate Sericulture farming:
Sericulture --- Moving To Golden Path
AARTHIK SWAVALAMBAN --- Project
Farmers' registration free.
Benefits of Registration:
- Farmer ID Card-Cum-ATM Card --- Every Registered farmer will be issued an Identity-Cum-ATM Card (In a joint programme by an authorized bank), In future that card will enable farmer to withdraw payment of Cocoons sold by them. (Including other services).
- Training --- After registration, farmers will be provided proper training for Sericulture Activities i.e. Mulberry Plantation, Garden Maintenance, Investment (Expenses) in farming of one Acre land and Revenue derived.
- Assistance for Chawki Rearing House --- Farmers will get full support with technical guidance and assistance to establish chawki rearing house.
- Market Linkage --- Transport facility will be provided by SRDC to collect Cocoons from door-step of farmers. Also, Silkworm Seeds (DFLs) will be made available at door-step of farmers.
After training, if farmers decide to Start Sericulture Farming Activity:-
The expected Expenses for 1 acre Farming is Rs. 15,000 /- (Rs. Fifteen Thousand Only). (Farmer may himself arrange such services OR he may ask to SRDC by making payment for such services)
Benefits of Farmer Contribution:
Support and Services provided by SRDC (after receiving payment for one acre farming activity):-
- Soil and Water Testing --- Farmers will get scientific Soil and Water testing facility.
- Stem Supply --- Every registered farmer will get required mulberry stems to plant on one acre of land.
- Silkworm Seed Supply --- SRDC will make available Quality Silkworm Seed (DFLs) to every registered farmer.
- Crop Insurance --- Crop insurance protects from natural disasters which affect crop yield and revenues along with other privileges.
Farmers Loan --- SRDC will facilitate to get "AARTHIK SWAVALAMBAN --- SERICULTURE LOAN" up to Rs. 1,35,000/- (Rs. One lakh and thirty five thousand only) to each farmer for establishment of chawki rearing house (traditional or modern method can be opted according to financial budget).
If farmers choose to avail services by SRDC, they can make the above payment of Rs. 15,000/- by Demand Draft (DD) only, in favour of Sericulture Research & Development Council, payable at New Delhi.
1. Registration Process
The farmers will be online registered with SRDC. Farmers will get assistance from the Block Resource Agency to get registered online. The farmers will be given a registration number along with acknowledgement receipt and Identity card. He will be able to use this registration number as reference ID. No. in future also. All the information about registered farmers of SRDC will be available on SRDC website also.
Every registered farmer will be provided proper training and a Certificate for pursuing Sericulture Activities. The training will be organised in Four Steps. Every step of training program will be of 3 days:
Step 1 ---
- Introductory Mulberry Sericulture Activity.
- Mulberry plantation and Garden maintenance.
Step 2 ---
- Establishment and Maintenance of Chawki Rearing House.
Step 3 ---
- Silkworm Rearing --- Requirement and Management.
- Cocoon harvesting, sorting, drying and preservation & assessment.
Step 4 ---
- Market Linkange- Transportation of Cocoons, Sales Process and Selling Price of Cocoons, mode of payment through Id-cum-ATM card (i.e. cash crop payment).
3. Soil and Water Testing
Understanding and maintaining the chemical, physical and biological 'health' of Soil will provide the foundation for increased sustainable productivity. Testing the chemical make-up of irrigation and stock water is important to avoid potential crop-production, soil-health or farm-livestock problems. Such testing will help to select category / quality of stem plantation. The farmers will be provided with a testing certificate also.
4. Stem Supply
Maintaining a mulberry garden is the primary requirement for sericulture activity. For that required Mulberry Stems will be provided to the farmers to be planted on one acre of land (per farmer). Silkworms feed on mulberry leaves. Hence the rearing of silkworms involves cultivation of mulberry trees, which provide a regular supply of leaves.
5. Silkworm Seed Supply
SRDC will facilitate to make available quality silkworm seeds (DFLs) to farmers through its own established Commercial Silkworm Seed Bank at door-step of every farmer. Timely supply of high yielding hybrid Silkworm Seeds can only sustain Sericulture as comparative cash crop in the country. Silkworm Seed is the sheet anchor of Sericulture Industry. A sound Silkworm Seed organization will govern the production and productivity of silk.
6. Establishing Chawki Rearing Houses
Farmers will get full support and guidance to establish the chawki rearing house. Chawki rearing refers to rearing of young silkworms, from egg hatching up to the second moult stage, under controlled micro climate. The process of chawki rearing may be compared to nursery raising in plantation crops. The purpose of chawki rearing is to grow quality silkworms under disease free environment, to reduce worm rearing duration, cost and to improve cocoon productivity at farmers' level. For establishment of Chawki Rearing House traditional and modern method can be adopted according to financial budget of farmer.
7. Crop Insurance
This contribution by the farmer will include Crop Insurance. In India, the agricultural production is depending on the nature. The Indian farmers have to suffer a huge loss of crop yields and revenues during natural disasters such as flood, drought or earthquake. Insurance is the best way to protect the farmers from such damages. Beneficiaries covered under different pre and post cocoon components of sericulture shall be covered under insurance cover.
8. Cocoon Transportation
SRDC will provide transportation facility to collect cocoons from door-step of farmers. A complete facility for cocoons carriage produced by our farmers to our own established reeling units at optimal market price is desirable. Characteristics of Cocoons production from different farming areas and their transportation have considerable impact in cocoon technological traits as the farming areas vary among ecological and geographical considerations.
9. Market Linkage
SRDC Designs Sericulture Marketing for farmers need and support. New marketing links between Seri-business……..
Farmer -----------> Stem Supply -----------> Silkworm Seed Supply -----------> Collection of Cocoons -----------> Transportation of Cocoons -----------> Optimal Market price
When farmer requires silkworm seeds, they will ask to nearby Block Seed Bank for supply of seeds at his door-step, similarly Cocoons will be collected from door-step of farmer. The weight of sold Cocoons will be recorded in an electronic device and a message will be reflected in farmer's Mobile about weight and price of sold Cocoons. Now farmer can receive payment by using his I.D-Cum-ATM Card (i.e. cash crop trading system).Improvement of marketing linkages for both farm produce and inputs necessitates a strong financial support backed up by appropriate policy and framework along with effective administrative and marketing support.
10. Farmers Loan
To start sericulture activity some initial finance is required. For the same purpose SRDC will facilitate "AARTHIK SWAVALAMBAN --- SERICULTURE LOAN" to support the farmers by arranging Loan up to Rs. 1, 35,000/- (Rs. one lakh and thirty five thousand only). Loan for sericulture helps provide hassle-free and adequate credit for establishment and support of mulberry farms and nurseries, mulberry cultivation, purchase of eggs (DFLs), purchase of equipment, establishment of chawki rearing house, etc. (Traditional or Modern method can be opted according to financial budget).